- This event has passed.
Understand different cyber roles and what employers want
8 June 2023 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
About this event
A career in cyber security is both challenging and rewarding. Cyber security jobs are more in-demand than ever, since most businesses are dependent on IT and communication technologies. with more and more businesses using the internet for services, we are seeing a rise on cyber threats, leading to the increasing demand of cyber professionals.
However, cyber security encompasses a much bigger, broader range of roles than most people realise. Cyber is a growing sector and there are a huge variety of interesting career options – and you don’t necessarily have to study STEM subjects or have a degree in cyber security for many roles.
In this workshop you will hear directly from cyber recruiters and industry professionals talking about:
- How to get started i.e. know the different roles and opportunities
- How do qualifications and certifications factor in
- Practical tips on networking
- Job search strategies
- Professional development opportunities
- Getting over the confidence gap/impostor syndrome
There will be Q & A session at the end of the workshop to allow students to interact and share their thoughts with the industry experts.
- Zeshan Sattar, Senior Director, Learning & Skills Certification, CompTIA
- Dee O’ Neale, Cyber Security Consultant Team Leader, Claranet.
About The Ethnic Minority in Cyber (EMiC) Network
While there is a growing cyber security skills gap and high shortage in the UK cyber sector, a recent survey found that only 17% cyber professionals are from the ethnic minority background across all cyber roles. The EMiC network is a pilot network for the Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority cyber academia, professionals and businesses with the long-term aim of significantly improving representation across the cyber sector.